Sunday, August 10, 2008

Book Review

Ok, a while back I auspiciously mentioned a whole list of books I was going to read and let you know if I liked. Yeah, um, here I am months later finally almost through with the first one. Ok, "Passionate Housewives Desperate for God". I really like this book. It is pretty convicting when they talk about dying to yourself, living for God and selflessly serving your children and husband. They are a little more extreme in some things than I personally am, but most controversial subjects (i.e. amount of children to have) they have left to your own personal convictions. They do go into how much our society, and even the Christians, have been influenced by the feminist movement. We are all subject to swallowing something that appeals to our selfish nature, when we know what the Bible says about selfishness:

"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should not look out for your own interests, but also for the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as Christ Jesus: Who, being in the very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death even death on a cross!" (Philippians 2:3-8)

Whew, I always feel terribly convicted whenever I come across this passage. It takes away all of my "but I's". But I am wasting my college degree. But I am just not getting my "me" time. But I am tired. But I worked hard all morning and I deserve for these kids to take naps! Etc., etc. All of these were running through my head as I was reading some of the passages in this book.
I recommend "Passionate Housewives...." But, as always, remember there is only one Bible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've been interested in that book for a few months now! Thanks for the recommendation AND the reminder!