Monday, May 5, 2008

Everyday Dramas...

Sorry I haven't blogged in a while, I am a much better blog reader than blogger! There hasn't been much going on around here, at least not to me, but I always enjoy reading my friends blogs about their normal everydays.

Let's see, after way too much research and debate we finally planted a tree in our front yard. We chose a bur oak, which is said to grow well in our soil, take a long time to grow, but live a long time too! It was a total compromise as I wanted an oak, and Tom wanted a mulberry. These oaks are actually native to Mississippi (mesquite is all that is native to here), and Tom thinks they're cool. It was amusing to be out planting our budget tree, I am holding it and Tom filling the hole with dirt literally while our neighbor was having a tree planted in his front yard that required a huge truck with a pulley!

We are going to have to replace our mulberry in the front since it is about to split down the middle. Tom is slowly eliminating limbs -- and, as everyone knows, we can't live in a house without cutting down trees! Maybe Neil and Doug will come our for the tree cutting! ;-)

We also bought a globe willow for the back which is waiting to be planted. I still don't know how we didn't get that done this weekend, but it didn't happen.

The girls are thoroughly enjoying our backyard! They love playing in our sandy soil and digging in the holes the dogs dug, who needs a sandbox? We had some high drama the other day when Sallie, the golden retriever caught a baby bird. I was in the kitchen with the window open, and I heard R screaming at Sallie, "GET THAT OUT OF YOUR MOUTH!!!". I looked out and saw Sallie laying flat on her back with the girls on top of her trying to pry her mouth open! Unfortunately, the birdy didn't make it (or mercifully, depending on how you look at it). While I was tying the dog up R tried to bury the bird in a dog hole and E just kept mournfully saying, "Now the Mommy and Daddy bird will be lonely." It was a gut wrenching, lesson in life (and in what dogs are really like).

Have a blessed week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's too funny about the bird! So where are the pictures of the trees?