Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I guess my nap is over.....

Ok, I somehow managed to fall asleep this afternoon, it was wonderful and badly needed but I was rudely awakened by my oldest child banging her feet on the wall. She is supposed to be quietly napping too. Sigh. So, now I am awake.

Let's see, we did do other things in the past weeks than just find a hound a home! Tom and I attended the Home School Book fair last week. It was fantastic to get our feet wet in the homeschool scene. There were a ton of curriculum publishers there and some other book publishers. I bought some books from Vision Forum that I have been eyeing for some time. One is called Home Making, then there is Raising Maidens of Virtue and Passionate Housewives Desperate for God.
We also bought Clay & Sally Clarkson's Educating to WholeHearted Child, which I am hoping will also be good and helpful. I liked Sally's books The Ministry of Motherhood and The Mission of Motherhood, I highly recommend them. They were helpful to me in remembering in the tough moments why I do what I do (like when they wake you up from a nap ;-).

I am just now getting started on Home Making I'll have to let you know how it is. So far it is really good and very thought provoking on the importance of making a Godly home and family life. The first chapter about marriage has been worth the book! I have been convicted lately on the importance of making home a place of peace and working together for that goal. I have been pretty tense lately trying to get everything and everyone taken care of! But we have known 2 different families in the last couple of months that broke up. It is sobering to us and a reminder to work at making home strong in God. He is the only thing that holds it all together! Before I start thinking there are ways to make our marriage stronger or to make our home peaceful or any of these things I am reminded of 2 Corinthians 3:5. It has to be God that makes all things peaceful and harmonious!

So, now I am really awake, I think I'll go thaw some turkey burger for spaghetti! Yum!

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

J, I look forward to hearing more about your homeschooling adventures. We are definitely leaning towards that direction, at least for the first few years. I'm glad I'll be able to count you among my resourceful friends when I have questions!

Anonymous said...

Those sound like some great books! Keep us updated...